New Canaan Public Schools has just posted an Elementary SCIENCE teacher opening. See below. It is a great opportunity to help shape and innovate a science program.
Please email me if you have any questions!!
K8 Science Coordinator
New Canaan Public Schools
Opening as of 6/18/2014
Science Teacher (Elementary)
Elementary School Teaching/Science
South Elementary School
South Elementary School has an opening for a Science teacher. All candidates must hold or be eligible for appropriate CT certification. Please be sure to upload a cover letter, resume, three letters of recommendation, transcripts and a copy of your certification (if available).
ELEMENTARY SCIENCE TEACHER
The Elementary Science Teacher is responsible for leading the science program in the school. Primary responsibilities include direct teaching, articulating and facilitating the delivery of the science program within each grade, facilitating/leading regular classroom teachers in the teaching of science, managing the science classrooms, and maintaining communication with principals, K-8 Science Coordinator, and parents about the science program.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Curriculum and Instruction
- Consult and collaborate with K-4 Science Team as well as K-8 Science Coordinator.
- Articulate and monitor the delivery of core science curriculum and work to integrate science instruction across all curriculums.
- Lead and support teachers in the teaching of science.
- Identify and develop curricular materials to provide differentiated instruction.
- Use all sources of assessment data to monitor student progress.
- Collaborate with classroom teachers, administrators, and specialists to analyze assessment data in order to make instructional decisions.
- Collaborate and consult with classroom teachers, SPED, ESL and Challenge teachers on both grouping and instruction.
- Co-teach science classes as designated by the principal.
- Set annual goals for the improvement of science instruction in consultation with building principal and the science coordinator.
- Recommend science non-fiction materials to be used at each grade level.
- Meet regularly with elementary colleagues, principal and coordinator regarding the science needs in the building, and update faculty on science trends, best practices, etc.
- Promote school-wide science activities.
- Serve on the system-wide science committee to refine and continually update the science common core curriculum; participate in summer curriculum work.
- Manage materials and supplies in the science classroom.
- Establish safety regulations for use in the science classroom and instruct teachers and students in these regulations.
- Assist in the development and coordination of the science budget.
- Plan and implement ongoing staff development in the building and district.
- Participate in the work of state and national curriculum committees and associations.
- Assist teachers in differentiating science instruction to meet the diverse learning needs of students.
- Serve as a resource for best practice in science instruction.
- Elementary teaching certification
- At least two years teaching experience
- Knowledge of K-12 Science Framework
- Ability to lead, and to implement the curriculum
- Evidence of ability to collaborate with colleagues
- Effective communication skills